GRAND LAKE RETREAT
Dates for Summer 2015: July 12-17
Join Lighthouse Writers Workshop in the scenic mountain town of Grand Lake, Colorado, to immerse yourself in writing, reading, and creative discovery with a community of like-minded writers.
Each day participants attend workshops and activities, sit in on book talks, and share work at fireside readings, all with the goal of inspiring new ideas, new writing, and new ways of seeing. Workshops are focused on generating fresh work and rethinking integral elements of craft, and they offer a combination of writing exercises and lectures on specific topics. Because of this focus, there are no formal writing critiques.
REGISTRATION: Register for the 2015 Grand Lake Retreat here.
ACTIVITIES: Participants can pick and choose between a variety of workshop offerings each day of the retreat.
Classes will include (subject to change):
- On Narrative Speed: Building a Sense of Pace with Andrea Dupree
- Good Guy, Bad Guy, Same Guy: Teasing Out the Good and Evil in Your Characters with Jennifer Itell
- Fun and Games: Generating New Material with Jennifer Itell
- What You Don't Know with Chris Ransick
- Revision: Getting Granular with Karen Palmer
- Metaphor as Theme with Michael Henry
- Hike and Write with Michael Henry
- Dynamic Scenes: Tips, Tricks, and Danger Zones with Erika Krouse
Book talks will include (subject to change):
- Two Kinds of Decay by Sarah Manguso; discussion led by Andrea Dupree
- Beautiful and Pointless: A Guide to Modern Poetry by David Orr; discussion led by Chris Ransick
- The Conversations by Walter Murch; discussion led by Karen Palmer
- Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro; discussion led by Erika Krouse
Details and course descriptions for the 2015 retreat can be found by viewing our 2015 brochure.